Evaluation and peer reflection on my Dove Ad


Reflecting on my own advert

            

The brief.

Our brief was to produce a Unilever TV ad, many products are represented with Unilever, not only was our brief to produce a Unilever TV ad but to change the target audience. My chosen product was Dove personally I choose this product because of the previous ad campaigns how they use emotions and personal issues to promote the product.  I really wanted to attempted the same idea but for a younger audience. My group also had the same visual ideas, so as a group we worked extremely well. The current target audience for Dove is middle class women, I have changed the target audience to young adults, the reason behind doing so is to show that other ages can also go through emotions and personal issues even at such a young age. 

The finished product and feedback.

I collected feedback in two different ways, the first way was through survey monkey, this is a website that you can generate questionnaires. I then shared this on all my social medias, for example Facebook, Instagram, twitter and snap chat. I got some extremely good feedback, such as 'this ad fits with the continuous Dove campaigns, the reason I thought this was due to the layout and the dialogue'
The second way I received feedback was from my class, we had a short screening of each TV ad and had questions to answer about each ad, I also received amazing feedback. I believe that I managed to get the message of the advert, to my chosen target audience. I believe this because when reading through the feedback on survey monkey one question stated 'Did the message of the ad appeal to you?' The results for the question were all positive stating that the message and emotion of the ad fir with the chosen target audience of young adults.

When in the pre-production process of the ad the camera work and Mise-En-Scene was very important to us, due to not having much action in the advert. So we kept the layout really simple having the actors sat down on either the left or the right side of the shot, and during the end shots we used a green screen to change the colours of the background to fit our message and target audience.

I think that the finished advert effectively sold the product to the specified audience through my narrative. The dialogue played a major role in my ad, this is the way the emotions and personal issues were discussed. Although the advert doesn't mention the product until the last shot, in my feedback someone stated that although the Dove products are not used in anyway shape or form, they would still purchase the product from what they have witnessed in the advert.

Although my advert doesn't seem to have any persuasion techniques, it has quite a few, for example I have used self-confidence as a persuasion technique, this worked extremely well as the audience liked how confident they could be if they believed in themselves. During the ad questions were placed on screen for instance 'What do you dislike about yourself?' although the question was answered by all of the actors the question is also asked to the audience so it involves them too.

When in pre-production our aim was to communicate a message to our target audience and also secondary audience too, to get the message out that loving your insecurity's was a good thing, we created questions that the audience could answer but also a response from somebody else, and how they are being confident in front of others to announce what they do and do not like about themselves.

Overall I think the advert is fit for purpose, many of our feedback's stated that the colours worked well with our target audience but also looked professional and smart. Our advert does comply with advertising regulations, when researching about Dove products and Dove advertisements, we took into consideration that ASA and BCAP would need to be researched due to having young adults as our actors. here on the right is the recognition of advertising in the BCAP Code All rules under this category are to be followed in order to create a successful television advert.

Personal reflections

My original intentions are almost the same as my final 
advertisement, with just a few added tweaks for example the way the text would appear on screen, and the position of the actors. When in the pre-production stages we created storyboards, scripts and other paperwork that would help us doing the filming stages. I think the script could have had more effort placed into it, it was almost rushed but other than the script the pre-production paperwork was okay and easy to understand. 
I am extremely satisfied with the overall final product, If I saw the advert on TV I would personally purchase the product from watching it.  If I could do anything differently It would be to spend more time on the script, and more time filming and making sure all shots are in focus. During this project I was the camera operator/ music editor. I really wanted to focus on the cinematography for this advert because it was so important to get that right, I experimented with different lenses to see what looked better. I have worked with cameras before so this gave my group some confidence. Music editor was my second involvement I haven’t had much experience with the editing side of film making, so this was new to me, but I feel that the music and dialogue sounded okay.

Here are some of the answers I got during my survey on my TV advert.
I really enjoyed reading the feedback and the positives and negatives, and doing that has helped me improve my skills.

0 comments:

Post a Comment